SpeculationThe video you just watched is full of language speculating about the possibility of life on other planets. There are no less than 11 examples of 'maybe' and 'perhaps' appears 5 times. But there are also a number of other expressions for speculating, and we're going to look at a few of those now.
0 of 1 questions completed
Click “Sart” to reload.
You have already completed this exercise before, so you can not start it again.
You must sign in or sign up to start this exercise.
You have to finish the following exercise before starting this one:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Write a word from the box in each space in the sentences below.
(x2) means the word is used twice.
that least could (x2) have claim start must to yet like very easily out be (x2) seem looks think might surely
1. There (must) (surely) be countless other planets teaming with life. (18 secs)
2. Conspiracy theorists (claim) (that) UFOs are visiting all the time (31 secs)
3. and if you extrapolate the data, it (looks) (like) there (could) (be) half a trillion planets just in our galaxy. (46 secs)
4. an intelligent alien civilization could (easily) (have) spread out across the galaxy. (1 min, 44 secs)
5. At the (very) (least), you'd (think) they'd be revealing their presence. (2 mins)
6. But it is cool that ideas do (seem) (to) have a life all of their own. (4 mins, 24 secs)
7. Well, within the next fifteen years, we (could) (start) seeing real spectroscopic information (4 mins, 36 secs)8. The fact that we... ask these questions (might) (yet) turn (out) to (be) one of the most important facts about the universe. (5 mins, 25 secs)
Before you click "Finish", check with the video, using the timings in the sentences above to help you locate them.
HERE to join the debate about extraterrestrial life
HERE to go back to C1 classes.